Friday, November 9, 2007

Home Alone!

Well yesterday we had an interesting thing happen, Kenedy locked us out of the house! I was unloading groceries from the car and she reached up and turned the lock on the knob and locked me out. I tried to talk her into unlocking the door, but she couldn't figure it out! I didn't freak out yet because I knew Mike would be home any minute with a key. Well Mike got home about 1 minute later, but he didn't have a key. Don't ask me why my husband doesn't have a key to HIS house on HIS key ring! Well we tried for several minutes to talk Kenedy through opening the door. She tried her hardest, but she couldn't seem to do it. Mike started working on the door with a credit card while I checked windows and doors. But since I am such a freak about things being locked, nothing was unlocked and my precious little baby was beginning to get frustrated with the fact that we would not come inside. So while Mike continued on trying to find a way in the house, I went around the back and played with Kenedy through the glass doors. She thought it was funny for about ten minutes and then she was done. She started crying and saying "I want you!" over and over. Which made me start crying, but I kept a smile on my face so that I wouldn't freak her out more. I decided I was done watching my daughter suffer so I headed to the neighbors to get a phone book so I could call a Lock Smith. When I returned I found Mike crawling through the attic. We have an attic in the garage and in the hallway of our house. Mike army crawled through a small hole that connects the two attics, pried the attic covering open with a grill tool, and jumped down from the ceiling to rescue our precious K! He was covered in insulation and a had a few cuts and scratches, but he got us inside the house with our baby! You would not find me crawling through dark, small spaces! I am so afraid of small spaces, bugs, and rodents! Thank you Mike for doing being such a smart, brave hubby, you are forgiven for not carrying a house key on your key ring! No this is not a picture of Kenedy inside by herself. I couldn't take a picture because: A: my camera was locked inside with her, B: she did not look this happy, and C: when I did get inside all she wanted to do was hug me, poor thing! Moral to the Story: Put a hide-a-key in the garage!!

18 comments:

Shauna said...

What an adventure! I would have panicked just like you. I can just picture Mike crawling around in your attic space. Smart idea to hide a key in the garage! Wow! See you tomorrow.

McMillan Family said...

Every time I think about your adventure I laugh. Mike is so funny. His new theme song is eye of the Tiger I don't know why I just hear that song in my head every time I thinkof him crawling through the attic.

Jill said...

Glad to hear everything turned out okay! I would be so scared...I've never had that happen. It's funny, my cousin just had that happen to her the other day as well and her 1 year old was locked inside. It was a mess trying to find someone to help her!
I've locked myself out of the house but no kids were inside, just cookies baking! I was freaking out because I didn't want to burn the house down. Crazy funny stories!!!!!

Hollyween said...

SOOO scary! I think that happened with Levi, but luckily there was a window open. I always feel so bad for those ladies that lock their kids in the car. Luckily, police will rescue you for free if you do that.

jonna said...

You never have a dull moment, huh? That is a crazy story and one for the books!

kristin said...

crazy! Usually kids just lock themselves in the bathroom or something, not lock you out! Obviously she pays attention to all the details, including how to lock all the doors. (And, way to go Mike!!!)

Lacey said...

Oh, man. Maddy locked herself in the bathroom once by pulling out a drawer and blocking the door. She started pulling things out of the drawer and I didn't know if there was something she could choke on.....after ten minutes of me freaking out, she finally closed the door...ahhhhh! I'm sorry! I'm glad everything came out okay.

Todd and Meisha said...

You married such a man!! We knew his skills would come in handy someday. That is a funny story, only because it turned out OK. I am trying to picture Mike climbing in the attic....HA!HA!

Lindsey said...

WOW!!!! What a day! I know it wasn't it funny at the time, but now that it's over it is funny. Thanks for the advice too!

Scott, Julie and Kaylie said...

Oh Heidi, that is hillarious. But I'm sure it wasn't very funny while it was happening, but it makes a great story to tell later :) Way to save the day Mike! Random question: what is the name of the scrapbook program that you use? Also, I will talk to the lady in my ward about the bows on sunday and I'll let you know! Thanks, you are the best! Love ya tons!

Montgomery Family said...

Oh my goodness! Your hubby is a champ for crawling through dirt and spider webs. I'm not sure I could have done that!! I'm glad everything turned out ok.

The Peterson's said...

That is crazy! I can't believe that happened. I am glad that Mike was your knight is shining armor. I am with you and would never craw in place that might have living things. I am glad everything is ok!

jonna said...

Hey heidi..i usually just browse the internet for free digital stuff, but I found one that has a ton of stuff. You click on it and then you have to click on the person's website to download. Sometimes you end of looking around the site but I have found many. theres another below you should try too.

www.digiscrapdepot.com
raspberryroaddesigns.blogspot.com

The Hunzikers said...

Okay I seriously died laughing reading your post. I can just see Mike crawling around in the attic. I'm glad you got in okay!! Jeff goes to Wyoming this weekend and then the next weekend is Thanksgiving. I'm sure you're crazy busy at Thanksgiving so maybe we can shoot for the weekend after that. Jeff and I will have to come up and see your house which I am sure is absolutely darling!! I miss you and I wish so bad that we lived closer. I need a good running buddy!

Michelle said...

I love your blog! Kenedy is so cute! Smart thinking to get back in the house.
~Michelle and Dave

L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
L said...

Heidi...I just found your blog. Your daughter is adorable and I love your blog! I hope life is good for you guys, it has been a long time. Stop by my blog anytime:lichelleandtrent.blogspot.com. Take care!

Alysia said...

Your blog is adorable! I need some blog lessons from you. I would love to make mine cute like yours. It is so fun to see what your family is up to, it had been so long. This is crazy...My daughter locked us out of the house today too, but luckily it wasn't nearly as bad because both kids were locked-out with me.